Thursday, October 10, 2013

BBQ Sauce and Bad Habits

So in a couple weeks our kids are going to be parading through neighborhoods and malls grabbing free candy. They like candy. They love candy, but me? I like BBQ sauce. I can find ways to use it on almost everything. Ribs, chicken, pizza, or straight from the bottle. I'm thinking about it as I write this. Mmmmm.... BBQ sauce.

However, BBQ sauce does not like me. I know this for a fact. As soon as I introduce BBQ sauce to anything it's only moments later trouble begins. I start to feel sluggish, tired, and sometimes just plain sick. But my love for the sauce gives justification for the inevitable pain that always comes my way. 

You could say my continual love of BBQ sauce is a bad habit. A pretty bad habit. 


Some weeks back, we were at a friends home for a family BBQ. Ribs were part of the menu and I felt obligated to show my appreciation by eating with fervor. The ribs were mad good and the sauce was like manna from heaven. So, because of this, I was inspired to make ribs at our home for the next couple of nights. Each night I felt more and more bloated and tired. I stepped on the scale and noticed I had gained 5 pounds in 4 days! Not only did I feel like junk, my clothes were shrinking. Something had to give. I still have cravings for ribs. I wouldn't mind if some 4-Rivers brisket arrived magically at our doorstep!!! But I've had to make a trade-off. When my BBQ desire grows strong, I grab an apple. It's not the same. I miss ribs, but I'm growing healthier each time I resist.

Maybe today you have a bad habit that needs to go. You've known it and others know it. But even though you know it's harming you, you find it hard to resist. You've tried before and failed. What if you had a supplement? Something that replaced that thing that you love that's killing you? 


Here are a few questions that can help you process through that. 

1. What bad habit are you giving your time to?

2. What can you replace that bad habit with?
3. How will you make the new habit happen?

The truth is that we all have bad habits. And if you are reading this, you are likely looking for answers to a real problem in your life. You are in the right place.  


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

So what habit needs replacing in your life? 


Find support and resources at Facebook.com/ElevateDads


No comments:

Post a Comment